Top Red Bar
Home > Departments > Urban Planning and Land Use

Urban Planning and Land Use  

Sign Ordinance and Permit Applications

Review Time: 

 Allow 3-5* business days for the review of a sign permit application. 

Types of Permits: 

 Permanent sign permit is required for new or refacing existing of wall, canopy, projecting, monument, pole or pylon signs.  

Special event displays (temporary) permits are available for portable signs and banners are allowed for no more then 7 calendar days within a 6 month period (twice a year). Special event displays may be erected on the premises of an establishment having a grand opening or special event. Balloons and search lights are considered as a portable sign.

Special event banners (temporary) up to 50 sq ft may be displayed for special events as wall signs for up to 30 days within any 6 month period.

License Requirements:

Sign contractors are required to carry a city occupational tax license with the Business Licensing Department. A valid UG license is required for all sign permit applications.

Signs within a Historic District: 

Sign permits on properties within a Historic District shall have State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) approval prior to the issuance of a sign permit. Planning will make the submittal on behalf of the applicant to SHPO. Allow 5-10 business days for SHPO review.

Fee Schedule: 

 Please make checks payable to the Unified Treasurer.

 Fee  Per Sign 

 Sign Type  


Attached (e.g. Wall, Projecting, Window, Awning, etc.)          


 Detached (e.g. Monument or Sandwich/"A" Frame)


Other (e.g. Flag or Incidental)


Billboard/Outdoor Advertising Sign (less than 300 SF)


Billboard/Outdoor Advertising Sign (greater than 300 SF)

 Additional Permits and Inspections: 

 Additional permits with Building Inspections may be required based on the design of your sign. Applicant is responsible for obtaining the proper electrical permit and inspections if required for the sign with Building Inspections.

 Ordinance and Application: 

Applicant shall be complete and shall include required supporting documents; incomplete applications will be returned. The following supporting documents shall be required for new permanent signs in addition to a complete application:

    1. Scale drawings or renderings that show the building elevation, the location of the sign, anddetailed dimensions of the façade/wall the sign will be placed.    
    2. A detailed dimensioned site plan or plot plan that shows the location of the sign in relationship to: property lines, buildings, other signs on the site and the  edge of the street pavement.    
    3. A detailed schematic drawing that gives the dimensions, color, materials of the sign and the method of attachment.    
    4. A letter from the property owner or authorized agent granting permission to construct the following sign(s)   

Sign ordinance is available online under Chapter 27 Planning; Article VIII-Zoning; Division 11-Signs

Contact info: 

Zach Flanders          


Jamie Hickey 913.573.5755

Byron Toy   


Kim Portillo


Line Divider Gray

UG Logo gif  
Planning Hours Rob Richardson Phone Numbers
City Hall 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Program Supervisor P: (913) 573-5750
701 N 7th Street Monday - Friday Email F: (913) 573-5796
Suite 423  
Kansas City, KS      

Background Piece Background Piece